Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Strong Bonds


Over this past weekend, I went on an Episcopal Youth Diocese Church Retreat.  I have been going to these twice a year, for seven years.  I've been to Waycross over 10 times in my lifetime and I'm not ready to let it go yet.  The people I meet there, the memories I make, the tears I shed, are all things that have changed my life in such a positive way.  Without Waycross I would've never developed strong friendships with people I know today.  I would probably have never met them either.  I am so thankful that I am able to go see these people twice a year, and make life long memories with them.  I don't know where I would be without it.

There are two church retreats.  One is in the fall and one is in the spring.  Each time we go there is a new theme that we center our weekend around.  An endless amount of problems with infinite solutions.  Each time I go there, I learn something new, something I never would have known if I just stayed home and watched TV all weekend.  For a weekend our relationships with our phones, iPods, and other technological devices are severed so we can get closer to one another and get a break from our life back home.  At first I didn't like this at all, I wanted to listen to my music and text my friends all weekend.  As I grew older, I began to appreciate that they made us unplug from the world and actually focus on something that wasn't a small screen.  We actually connect with people and with God and with ourselves.  It's truly the best part.

One down side is that we sit around a lot.  We watch power points made by the YSC (youth steering committee) and listen to them talk about what our problem topic is of the weekend and then discuss on how there may be potential solutions.  At the end of the weekend, your knees ache, your butt is sore, and your elbows hurt, but through it all we all still have a fantastic weekend.  Waycross also has a way of draining every single ounce of energy from the body.  Waking up early and going to bed late are some components as to why everyone is exhausted when they get home.  We always have an activity to do, we are never just sitting around and doing nothing.  We are always busy and we are always putting our minds to work.

At the end of the retreat, we have a Eucharist.  A night where we celebrate God and worship and pray for us and for the needs of others.  People who need to get some weight off their chest go up to get blessed by a pastor or priest.  The night usually ends in tears and lots and lots of hugs.  It all may sound sad, but it just brings us all together.  One of the major beauties of Waycross is being able to let everything go, to be yourself, and not be judged about it at all.

Without Waycross I wouldn't some of the amazing friends that I have today.  I seem to be closer to my Waycross friends then I am with my school friends.  It's just how it all plays out, it's a safe haven.  Sadly I can't go after my Senior year, and that makes me so sad.  Once my kids are old enough, they will go to Waycross, and I'll be right there to chaperon and watch as my kids relive my childhood.



2 comments:

  1. You are a chip off the old blog kiddo! lol Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you guys! I try my best to write some good stuff(:

    ReplyDelete