Sunday, October 28, 2012

Who stands on top of their mountain?


Have you reached your peak?  Your best of you best? Gave life that big punch in the gut, and won it all?  Not many people can say they've got it all.  Some work well into their senior years still striving to reach their final goal.  Personally, I think my mother has achieved the American Dream.  She takes care of me (that's a hard job) and my brother everyday.  She has a husband and a loving dog named Frank. She basically treats swimming, biking, and running like it's her job.  Even though she has all of this on her plate, she still manages to wake up in the morning with a smile on her face.  My caregiver, my boss, my best friend, my mom, has reached the top of her mountain.

It's not everyday that you get to go about your day doing whatever your heart desires (unless you have tons of money or tons of free time).  As it seems, there is always something to do.  To me, my mom never appears to have "down time".  She wakes up around 7:00 a.m. (on good mornings) and doesn't stop working until around 7:00-8:00p.m. My mom is a dedicated triathlete, she does it even in her sleep!  My mom lives in workout clothes.  Its pretty much all she wears.  My mom loves biking, she has all the latest gear.  The top-notch bike, the fab new helmet, and the coolest gloves.  My mom could live on her bike if she really wanted to.  Just recently she went on a 100-mile bike ride through southern Indiana, could you do that?  She also is a half Ironman.  She completed 70.3 miles of biking, swimming, and running.  Took her under 7 hours to do it all, but what a feat! She plans to do a full Ironman (140.6 miles) by year 2014. Never in all of my years could I be able to do such a thing.

Like all of us, my mom goes through stresses everyday.  She meets obstacles, she goes through hardships, and she is no super hero.  She does go through life as though nothing can hold her back, she knows how to keep her head high and trudge on, even through the thickest of negativity.  Can we all say that we can do this?  It's very hard to do.

My mom has pretty much always wanted to be a writer.  In college, she wanted to become a reporter.  Travel the world, meet exciting people, all that jazz.  Instead, she worked as a waitress in a bar, and danced on tables.  If it wasn't for that job, she would've never met my dad, and I wouldn't be around to be typing this entry.  Everything happens for a reason, right?  A few years ago my mom began to pick up writing again.  Dusted off her laptop, bought herself a new at-home working station, and began to rediscover her old love.  She began to write a book, sort of a story about her life, through someone else's eyes.  She has been doing an amazing job with it.  She is still working on it, even after a few years!  Currently, my mom has a blog.  She submits a new entry almost every day it seems.  She can't get enough!  They're all wonderful entries though, I try to read them all.

My mom has been able to do all that she has wanted to do.

Completed each task she has given and jumped over every obstacle put in front of her.  I can easily say that I'm very proud of her and that she will continue doing these things even into her old and brittle years.  My brother and I are there for her, even if it doesn't always seem like it.  She has a loving family, tons of friends, and a love of her daily activities.  My mom has truly achieved the American Dream.

























No comments:

Post a Comment